So this Pastor Terry Jones in Florida from a church group that was financially and intellectually bankcrupt when announced the “Burn Quran Day” he bacame an instant international figure. Then he called it off to show that he got some leadership! Man got some skills of Public relations…
But lets analyze really quick what just happened by one nut who was blinded in a faith of instant publicity:
– Indonesian President used some harsh language towards US (to appeal its citizens but neverthless).
– Afghans took streets in protest, NATO camp was attacked by mob, a US soldier shot dead an Afghani protestor. All this for total nonesense because of One Nut.
– Mr Imam Feisal Rauf of Cordoba Initiative (aka NYC Cultural Center) according to the Nut Pastor apparently cut a deal with him to move the NYC Cultural Center away from Ground Zero?!?!? Like Seriously !!
– Imam Muhammad Musri, head of the Islamic Society of the Central Florida stood at Pastor Nut’s media conference and said that he feels that the Mosque should not be built near Ground Zero. Interesting because [1st] Its NOT a Mosque, its a freeken Cultural Center. [2nd] A Mosque has been there at that spot for all these years !
– Mr. Nut Pastor Jones can’t even pronounce Imam properly when referring to Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf (with whom he said he cut a deal). He kept referring to Imam Feisal Rauf as “Iman.” Its like calling Pastor a “Paster” Continue reading
My 2-Part of a series of confronting Islamophobia in America
By Edward E. Curtis
Rick Lazio, the gubernatorial candidate from Suffolk County, doesn’t like it. Sarah Palin, though not exactly a New Yorker, has resoundingly “refudiated” it. More importantly, plenty of ordinary citizens vocally oppose the establishment of a Muslim community center and mosque near the World Trade Center site.
But no matter how offensive their presence may be to some people, Muslims have always been a part of lower Manhattan‘s past. In fact, Islam in New York began near Ground Zero. From an historical perspective, there could hardly be a better place for a mosque.
One of the first Arab-American enclaves in New York City was located on Washington St. in lower Manhattan – the very area in which the World Trade Center was later built. Founded by Arabic-speaking Christians and Muslims from Ottoman Syria in the 1880s, it was called Little Syria.
The heart of Little Syria was full of outdoor cafes where non-Arab visitors sometimes gawked at men smoking hookahs and trading gossip about the Ottoman Empire. In a 1903 article, the New York Times called the Continue reading
*A Must Read Article by John Esposito
By John Esposito
In recent weeks, Republican politics and attempts across America to block the building of mosques have underscored the impact of Islamophobia in American society.
Republican candidates have jumped on a bandwagon, appealing to racist attitudes towards Islam and Muslims as a political wedge to gain electoral votes in the coming November elections. Bogus charges in 2008 that Barack Obama was a Muslim, as if that should discredit him, is an example of an Islamophobia which is still being used as a political strategy today. This form of political hate speech was addressed by Colin Powell in his endorsement of Obama when he asked:
“Is there something wrong with being a Muslim in this country? … I have heard senior members of my own party drop the suggestion, ”He’s a Muslim and he might be associated [with] terrorists.” This is not the way we should be doing it in America.”
Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, desperately seeking to recapture his national Republican leader role, tried this past week to create a bizarre national threat about the implementation of Islamic law, shariah, that doesn’t even exist:
“One of the things that I am going to suggest today is a federal law which says no court anywhere in the United States under any circumstance is allowed to consider sharia as a replacement for American law. Period.”
Republican Rex Duncan of Oklahoma followed suit, warning there is a “war for the survival of America,” to keep the sharia from creeping into the American court system. In California, a Tea Party Rally in protest of an Islamic Center Continue reading